First up I’m not a Fujifilm shooter yet I purchased the Fujifilm X-T30 because I wanted to get in to street photography. So why did I do this when I have both the Canon EOS R and the Sony A7R II and amble lenses for each. As I explained to my wife it’s simple. A camera is much like a frying pan or pot or knife to a cook. It’s a tool that allows you to be creative and for me a Toronto photographer it’s one of the most alluring creative photography genres I know. So it was obvious I needed to have a camera that seemed built for street photography, but is the Fujifilm X-T30 a street camera?
Why the price of the Fujifilm X-T30 was part of the journey for street photography
Ok so price isn’t always the most important thing in life, especially when it comes to being creative. Actually you’ll spend stupid money on an object like a camera if you think it will help you with your art. So the price of the Fujifilm X-T30 was an important consideration. As I said above I had both Canon and Sony cameras that I could easily use for street photography. So why did I buy the X-T30?
Well first I took the Canon EOS R and SONY AR7II out on the street and shot some photos. I wanted to see if they could work for me shooting street photography. Well they did and didn’t work. The challenge was the overall size. Both cameras produce great but were just too big and well obvious they were expensive. So I started to search for an alternative and came across the Fuji X-T30.
The price point for the X-T30 is pretty amazing when you think of it. You get 90% or more of the functionality as its more pro brother the X-T3 in a smaller and cheaper package. Now I had to try and get my hands on one to test it out.
Top 4 reasons why the Fujifilm X-T30 street price is so important
- Image quality – As mentioned above the X-T30 is basically the same as the X-T3 with an amazing APS-C sensor. The film simulations are also something you don’t find anywhere else (ok I don’t think so but could be wrong). This combo and great JPG’s make this an ideal camera to shoot and upload to your social channels with.
- Interchangeable lens – I did look at the Fujifilm X100F which is often seen as the perfect street camera but passed on it. I passed simply because I couldn’t change out the lens. Now I don’t plan on buying a lot of lenses but having an option of one or two that I can change on the fly while on the street is something I wanted.
- Physical size – The Fujifilm X-T30 is a small camera and small in the hands, you could say that about most of the Fujifilm X Series bodies. All the complaining you hear about hitting the Q button or your finger dangling are true but seriously if you want perfection stay in the studio!
- Artistic control – Street photography is largely an artistic plat to me. Let’s face it taking black and white photos of garbage cans isn’t something you aspire to as an artist. But snapping one in a street with a story and mood is totally what you’re trying to accomplish. The X-T30 reminds me of my old Minolta XG-M and that camera being my first was the start of my creative journey. The manual controls and overall layout of these functions is so much like a film camera I am finding myself wanting to switch to manual focus. But then I realize how amazing the auto focus is on this camera.
Is the Fujifilm X-T30 ideal for street photography?
You could basically say the same things as said above when you talk about the reasons the Fuji XT30 is ideal for street photography. The overall package is what makes this camera work. Shooting street photos is challenging in many ways and as a new #streetphotographer you want to pick the easiest path possible. So here are a few more reasons why I think this camera, the Fujifilm X-T30 is a top street photography camera.
- Film simulation – Where else are you going to get in camera film simulations that output amazing JPG’s? I have no idea and the range of looks you can get straight out of the camera is impressive and ideal for finding your groove with street photography.
- Pre-shot buffer – This is a great option in a camera like this. Sometimes you’re not sure when the action is going to happen but you do know it is. The pre-shot function buffers images when setup so that once you click the shutter it captures some of the pre-shots in the buffer. This allows you to capture things just before the time you clicked the shutter. A great option!
- Video capabilities – Although we’re talking about photos this camera has a killer video setup. If you’re a street photographer looking to dabble in some video you couldn’t ask for anything better than this package.
- Discrete size – Again in this genre camera size is very important and the X-T30 is small compact and full of features. You can even set it in full auto and get some pretty cool shots.
Fujifilm X-T30 sample images
I’ve put together a collection of sample street images from the Fujifilm X-T30 to showcase some of what a Fujifilm mirrorless camera can do. Many of these photos are taken by myself but thought I’d add in some from other photographers so you can see a range of creative styles.
Fujifilm X-T30 Sample images – Street photography
Cambridge, United Kingdom
New York, USA
Ernst P. Sanz
I’ve only had this camera literally for a day on the street and I’m falling in love with it. I think it just might be the best street camera ever built, for a guy on a budget. Maybe part of that is my desire to have a retro full hands on camera or maybe it’s that this camera is actually a great deal. Either way the key thing is that the camera is helping me expand my skills and getting me out of a box I’ve been in for a while.
Are you using a Fuji camera for street photography or think of it? I’d like to hear your thoughts on this camera or any of the Fuji cameras you use.