When it comes to bird photography in the winter there are a few things to seriously consider before you go outside and the camera gear isn’t number one. For years I’ve struggled with winter photography for one reason, it’s cold! It can get to -30 or even -40c here in Canada and when you’re out taking photos that in itself is enough of challenge. So the most important thing for winter or cold weather photography is your clothing. I’ve been able to find warm and flexible snow pants, warm and waterproof boots, balaclava and a coat where I can wear a t-shirt in these fridge temperatures. But what I was never able to find was a good pair of gloves. That’s until Vallerret sent me a pair of winter photography gloves.
Winter Camera Gloves That Work
I’ve tried a number of gloves for my photography including low cost camera gloves to ski gloves and none of them really worked. My time outside was always limited by how cold and numb my fingers were. I even tired the hot pockets which had limiting effect. So when I received the Tinden gloves by Vallerret I was a little skeptical. Was it even possible to make a pair of gloves warm enough for photography that had tips that would flip over for your fingers.
Winter Storm Ready
It just so happened that the day after I received my winter camera gloves a powerful storm rolled into Ontario. It dumper 30 centimetres of snow in hours not the worst ever but certainly the worst this year. Guess what that meant, yep perfect for testing out my new gloves and that’s exactly what I did the next day.
Right from the start I knew these gloves were different. The fit, fit my hands with the fingers moving in a natural way that I knew I’d be able to manage a camera more effectively. Often with other gloves I would have to take them off when shooting because the fingers didn’t move correctly or it was awkward to hold the camera. The Tinden gloves were much more natural feeling and weren’t a hurdle in the flow of shooting. This meant they’d stay on longer keeping my hands warmer allowing me to stay out longer and shoot wildlife and birds.
Top 5 Features of Winter Gloves for Bird Photographers.
- Warmth – The first and most obvious feature of the Tinden Photography Gloves is their warmth. These gloves are designed to keep your hands warm even in the coldest of temperatures. The gloves are made with a combination of PrimaLoft insulation and a merino wool lining, which provides excellent warmth retention and moisture-wicking properties. This means that you can comfortably spend hours outside in the cold without worrying about your fingers getting numb.
- Functionality – Another key feature of these gloves is their functionality. As a bird photographer, you need to be able to quickly adjust your camera settings and lens without fumbling around with bulky gloves. The Tinden Photography Gloves are designed with this in mind, offering a number of features to make shooting easier. The gloves have flip-tech fingers and thumbs that allow you to easily expose your fingertips for camera adjustments. The gloves also have a magnetic closure system that keeps the flip-tech fingers and thumbs securely in place when not in use.
- Grip – When shooting in cold weather, it’s important to have a good grip on your camera and lens. The Tinden Photography Gloves feature a durable synthetic leather palm that provides excellent grip, even in wet conditions. This allows you to confidently handle your camera and lens without worrying about dropping them.
- Compatibility – One of the standout features of these gloves is their compatibility with touchscreens. The gloves have conductive index and thumb fingertips that allow you to operate your smartphone or camera touchscreen without having to take off your gloves. This is a great feature for bird photographers who often need to check their camera settings or review images on their camera’s LCD screen.
- Durability – Finally, the Tinden Photography Gloves are built to last. These gloves are made with high-quality materials and are designed to withstand the rigors of outdoor photography. The gloves are water-resistant, windproof, and have reinforced stitching in key areas to prevent wear and tear. This means that you can use these gloves for multiple seasons without having to worry about them falling apart.
Vallerret Tinden Photography Gloves in the Field
Final Thoughts on Vallerret’s Winter Gloves:
Of all the benefits listed above, the one thing that stands out to me the most isn’t any specific benefit, but rather the sum of benefits. In the end, winter gloves need to stay on your hands in order to be useful, and that, to me, is a combination of features. A miss on any one of them renders the gloves less effective, resulting in your photography being limited not by your camera or location, but by the glove. That didn’t happen with the Tinden gloves.
If you’re a bird photographer looking for a pair of gloves to keep your hands warm and functional in the winter, the Vallerret Tinden Photography Gloves are an excellent choice. With their warmth, functionality, grip, compatibility, and durability, these gloves are sure to meet the needs of even the most demanding outdoor photographers. So, next time you’re out in the cold, don’t let frozen fingers hold you back from capturing that perfect shot – try out the Tinden Photography Gloves and take your photography to the next level.